Psalm 146:2 I will praise the Lord all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.
Thanksgiving will soon be upon us. It seems to come earlier each year. What are you thankful for? Your job, your health, your family? These are good things to be thankful for. I can look at all these things and turn my praises to the true and living God and His Son Jesus Christ, recognizing where all good things come from. Here at Serve the Children, we are thankful for many things. Much of what
we accomplished during 2017 is due to your financial and prayer support. Your generosity has helped us give hope and a future to children in
Liberia and India.
2017 Accomplishments include:
- We raised over $90,000 at our annual auction.
- We graduated our first group of women tailors from our school in a Mumbai slum.
- We got a grant from The Netherlands to begin a vocational training program at our Sinkor school teaching furniture building in 2018.
- We have over 175 sponsored teachers and students; this is the most we have ever had!
- We sent an 8-member mission team to Liberia and they used puppets to teach the students about Jesus. They also taught art and other subjects.
- We sent a 5-member mission team to India, where we taught computer skills to children who have never touched a computer before. We also taught phonics, art and other subjects.
- We opened a nursery school in a Mumbai slum, teaching children of all ages how to read and write.
Thank-you for your faithful and continuous support. Your donations are making a difference. We have great plans for 2018 and we are glad you are on our team.
Dr. Doug Collier
President, Serve the Children
We are here in India with the rest of the Serve the Children mission team. We can tell you firsthand that we are providing quality education for the children at our school. Great instructors are teaching English, math, science, and more to a lot of eager minds. But this is not our only goal. We also want to graduate students who continue to make a difference in their families and communities while they improve their own lives.
In addition to the government-required subjects, we teach life skills, including:
- Animal husbandry
- Caring for the environment (everything is recycled)
- Barbering skills
We are also making a difference in the lives and futures of the poor and marginalized in Mumbai. Please watch these short videos produced by John Keay (less than a minute each) featuring two women, Maria and Bharti, who graduated from our sewing program recently. They now support their families by sewing clothes for neighbors and friends. Danny and Glory meet with them regularly to see how they are doing and share Christ with them. Maria made the grocery bags with the STC logo that you can purchase at our office or at the October 7th auction.